Management of projects requires the effort and time of project managers. Identifying the right project management solution can be critical to the success of the team and company. When a company has more than one project under it, the problem of managing each project becomes complex. For the proper planning of the project and for the proper execution of the various steps or stages in the project effective management is necessary. There are many tools which will help in making project management an easy task. The templates are one such tool which will ensure that the project is running smoothly and your company will be able to finish the project at the proposed time and with the calculated budget.The following eight tools are integral parts of a top project manager’s arsenal.
- Project Charter: A project has to have a formal start. The project charter gives the project manager formal authority to carry out the activities to complete the project. The charter should state what the business needs are for the project. Justification for the project and what the outcome of the project will be, what results will be achieved upon completion of the project.
- Scope Statement: Is a document that defines what the project will accomplish, it is a document that the project team can go back to when projects lose focus and start to drift away from original scope. Scope statements include: project requirements, boundaries, constraints, assumptions, objectives, schedule milestones, cost estimates, defined risks and completion criteria. They also include the initial members of the IT project management team including the organization of the project team members and the key stakeholders and other project stakeholders.
- Mind Mapping.A brainstorming activity often used during the planning stage of a project. Breaks a project down into smaller more manageable parts by diagramming the project. Mapping starts with the main idea in the center with branches leading out from the center listing major components of the project. Smaller branches break off from larger ones as the parts become minor in comparison until all the branches contain tasks that can be assigned to someone.
- Work Breakdown Schedule (WBS) *PMBOK Organizes the activities required to complete the project from major parts, down to manageable parts, down to the task level. It is used to organize the outcome of the mind mapping activity into a manageable table.
- Productive team meetings: Meetings are necessary but have no value if they do not have a clear purpose! It’s important to have an agenda and for it to be distributed prior to the meeting. State the goal of the meeting in the agenda. Is the meeting a discussion, demonstration, presentation or brainstorming?
- Task Maps. Like this format to record meeting minutes. Task map list the tasks discussed and who is responsible for each task along with a completion date. Important to note that person must have the authority to accomplish the task. They must also be reviewed and updated by the project team.
- Assessing risk levels by identifying potential problems and looking for alternatives is a brainstorming activity during the project planning stage. Assessing the probability of the risk occurring and the level of response needed to mitigate the occurrence. With solutions like Comindware project management tools you can easily deploy the right tools the team and keep everyone up to date on status and progress no matter where they are.
Risk Level Scale assesses values from unlikely to highly probable
1 = Very low/ unlikely (Impact some minor adjustments occur)
2. Low / somewhat unlikely
3. Moderate / neutral
4. High / somewhat likely
5. Very high / very likely (Causes project failure)
- Team Building Skills – Projects don’t succeed if a project team can’t work together. You can check out Agen Bola for some of the latest Futbol updates to help provide your team an outlet for work.Important to learn team members strengths and weaknesses. Get to know each other, schedule a working lunch early in the project. Have regular face to face team meetings if possible.